Friday, July 07, 2006

New Shoes!!!




















Except my wheels, stoppers and laces are all the same deep purple color. Old-school, white-boot "ladies rink skates" [sic] as the box refers to them. I've had a rather consuming urge for months to get myself in a pair of skates and head out into the world. I tried inline skating exactly twice and didn't like it at all, trained as I was by years of perfecting my technique in "quad" skates (or "derby," which seems to be the hipper new way of referring to them).

And no, I haven't been in skates for about twenty years or so, but I have every confidence that a pair of kneepads and a brazen refusal to accept my middle age status will have me rolling happily in no time. (This time, though, unlike my 14-year-old self, wearing something other than the scalloped terry shorts and rainbow t-shirt of yesteryear.)

5 comments:

bryduck said...

I don't know what scalloped terry shorts might be, but they sound scrumptious! I'd leave the rainbow shirt behind, too, though . . .

Unknown said...

My nephew had "heelies" this past Christmas and boy was I jealous. I had dreams of scooting around campus on them. Turns out he wears the same size as me, so I tried them on. It *did* *not* *go* *well.* :(

Slangred said...

Those heelie things scare the bejesus out of me. I can't wrap my mind around something that are shoes and skates. I watch myriad children skate across the cork floor in the main hall of my place of work (public library) and then stroll off into the reference wing like it never happened. I don't think my soon-to-be-forty body could work out the subtleties of that skate/walk rhythm without at least a couple of fractures.
Since I bought the skates just before leaving on vacation, I have yet to try them out. But dammit, I just don't want to believe it will be any different than getting back up on a bicycle, as they say...

sporksforall said...

I can't wait to try out the skate/bicycle/bungee cord idea. Yea

Teresa said...

I never had your classic "derby" skates, but I did totally fall for the trend of shoe skates, not wheelies but rather the kind that became popular in the late '70s: like gym shoes attached to a skate platform. Shortly after I got a pair the city kindly repaved our street—a special kindness to me or mere serendipity?—giving me a virtual rink just outside my door.

Let us know how your first spin goes!